CT reports 23 COVID-19 deaths; travelers to 'self-certify'

HARTFORD, CT (1010 WINS) -- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont reported new 23 COVID-19 deaths on Monday, and said the state will require air travelers from high-risk states to provide information about where they will be quarantining.

Six people in Connecticut died over the past three days, Lamont said during his daily briefing on Monday. The additional 17 deaths “were backed up over the course of the last few weeks, as we got caught up with some of the funeral home (data) and other certificates coming in,” he said. 

Connecticut conducted 31,101 tests over the past three days, 223 of which were positive. As of Sunday evening, 74 people in the state were hospitalized with COVID-19, down by three from Saturday.

Lamont on Monday also said Connecticut will follow in New York’s footsteps by requiring air travelers from states included in the tri-state’s travel advisory to provide contact information, as well as information about where they will be quarantining. 

“Working with New York, we’ve decided to toughen up our quarantine from those highly-infected states,” he said. 

Airplane travelers will fill out a form when they land that includes information about “where you’re going to be staying, how you’re going to be quarantining (and) who you are traveling with,” he explained, calling the new procedure a “self-certification” process.

“If we find somebody’s tested positive on the flight or otherwise, it makes it easier for us to track and trace and make sure we keep an eye on things,” he said.

Earlier on Monday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said New York state would enforce the new rule by issuing fines to those who don’t comply, but Lamont said Connecticut was only “thinking about” issuing fines at present. 

“It’s worth noting that while air travel from, say, Florida, Texas and Arizona and another dozen states is down 70 percent since COVID, it’s down another 50 percent since we put in place our quarantine, so I think that’s having a good effect,” he said.